Wednesday, July 11, 2012

July 11 pm

A calm day of significant actions in the House of Bishops.  

  • We passed the budget unanimously.
  • We passed a second reading of the amendment to eliminate the consent of bishops at General Convention.
  • We passed unanimously the Structure resolution (C095)--to create a Task Force of 24 people who would make a proposal to a meeting of the whole Church--with the orders represented--in order to make significant change by 2015. The Task Force's report is due by November 2014.
  • We passed a new Title III to mediate conflict between bishops and their dioceses.
Calm day. Significant actions.

What I witnessed to day is a recognition that change is seldom at the pace we'd like. For some it is too rapid and for others too slow. We can only grow as fast as we can grow.

Personally, I dislike the idea that we will  spend the same amount of dollars on General Convention in 2015 (maybe $15 million--maybe $20 million). In my mind it's not a good use of resources or time, but I am not going to let those reactions block out the hope that comes from the Church's setting a course for a new vision and a new direction.   We will grow as fast as the whole body can grow.

I am pleased that the 5 Marks of Mission will steer our budget and our programs. I am pleased that we have some intentionality about the changes needed for a 21st Century Church.  And I am pleased that we recognize that the work will bring us together.  

But the work will be hard.  My hope is that our Church will have Good News to proclaim by example to a world addicted to division and fear and scapegoats.  My hope is that we will show that our love of our Lord Jesus Christ is deep enough and wide enough to bring a Church together for God's mission to reconcile the world and bring God's reign of peace and mercy and justice.

When I come to General Convention, I remember it's not my Church; it's God's Church.  It's not my agenda; it's God's agenda. And it's not my way; it's The Way.  General Convention is always messy and unsettling--but so is growth and community and reconciliation.  We didn't do what I hoped we would do, and that's probably good for my soul (and for the Church).  But I come away more hopeful and more committed.  We are on this journey together--all of us. And if we will raise our gaze and hold onto one another, Christ will lead us where He wants us to go.

One more day.
+Porter