Sunday, July 8, 2012

July 8, 2012

The evening of July 4 I watched the fireworks over the baseball stadium from the comfort of my 9th story hotel room. I didn't even watch to the end.  After a while you need to turn away from stimulation.  While there are wonderful parts of General Convention, it's like never being about to turn away from the fireworks. I intend to use our a short break after Church today to recalibrate and rest.

The word here is change.  The Deputies voted to allow the next Presiding Bishop to remain a Diocesan Bishop.  The Bishops voted to fund a significant Development Office.  We also are exploring moving the diocesan contribution to The Episcopal Church to 15%.  And of course, we are waiting to hear about the Budget and reforming General Convention and a new structure for our Church.

As I have worked on the Education Committee, I once again remember that our Church has many perspectives.  The Education Standing Commission presented resolutions to replace Confirmation with Baptism as rite for full initiation into Church leadership.  However, most of the Deputies and Bishops did not agree.  I am disappointed but not surprised.  Change is long and when I think I know where the Holy Spirit is headed, I am most often wrong.

What's happening is that we are trying to rebuild an airplane while in flight.  I am both excited by the changes proposed but also apprehensive that we might forget our base line structure that keeps us airborne.  I am also doubtful that strategic change happens with a committee of 1,000. My hope is that the Convention will give a direction or a plan for moving forward and commission a group to do the thoughtful work.

While here a hymn has been rolling in my head. It's "Canticle of the Turning" by Rory Cooney.  Here's the first verse:

My soul cries out with a joyful shout
that the God of my heart is great.
And my spirit sings of the wondrous things
that you bring to the ones who wait.
You fixed your sight on your servant's plight,
and my weakness you did not spurn,
So from east to west shall my name be blest.
Could the world be about to turn?

The Episcopal Church world is about to turn.  Let us pray we are turning with the God who turns all things to bring them closer to his reign.
+Porter